Saturday 4 January 2014

MOG #7: When the music hits you

How do I even begin to describe our next contributor? I guess I'll give you the run down of how we meet. In second year we had the same 8:00 seminar every week this kid would be so obnoxious; every sentence that came out of his mouth was an attempt to be the class clown. He was just the most annoying kid and my mornings were made even more unbearable because of it. Thankfully, the semester ended and the next time I saw him was a year later in yet another seminar. This time he seemed a little less annoying, more endearing. One afternoon I told him he reminded me of Barney Stinson from HYMIM. A few weeks later he tossed me a note that said “Robin” on the front and inside he made another obnoxious joke, but this time I was laughing back. I loved going to this seminar just to see what kind of course-related banter we could get into in front of the class.
Matt is character. His typecast would be the humble neurotic; an oxymoron I hope he finds fitting. Nevertheless, he’s got sass, depth, spark, talent, creativity, a dictionary pop culture references and a good, solid heart. He also has a thing for John Mayer so we get along alright. He was one of the first supporters of this project and when I asked him to contribute he responded, “Midnight deadline? You’re on”. I also got a “your optimism is phenomenal” text message and the following MOG within the next few hours. What a guy. Thanks for writing bud, see you in seminar.



"So Long, Astoria" by The Ataris. Yeah, that cd with "The Boys of Summer" on it. I still remember the first time I heard it: It was the middle of June, I was 16 years old, still rockin' the afro, and spent my days hanging out with my first major crush and my best friends in the whole world. Whether we were staring up at the stars on the trampoline, fishing off random bridges, or getting way more drunk off of two beers than I would now off of six beers, that summer still resonates with me as one of the best time periods of my life. And every time I hear that album, I can take myself back there and smile.

Music is great because it affects everyone differently. That's why one of the best feelings in the world for me is when I hear a song, and it hits me exactly where and when I need it to, because it becomes part of me. You all have some of these. I'm not talking about those interchangeable rave moments: "Dude I was so high on various pills that that beat drop was the sickestttt! I was one with the rave, I'll remember it foreeeever!" No. I'm talking about those songs that make you feel, that bring new depth to your experiences and capture a moment of your life forever.

It's not always a positive experience. I remember hearing "Here Without You" by 3 Doors Down with my cousin in his jeep at like 2am in a parking lot, right after we had both gone through tough breakups. He said to me, "I like this song, it makes you feel like you're not alone, y'know?" I did know, I still remember it to this day because that's exactly what it was, and that made me feel like everything was going to be alright. That connection you feel when the music hits you can be therapeutic, even if it's coming from the most negative of places.

So whether it's some one-hit wonder pop-punk band from the best summer of your life, or a song that randomly comes on the radio during a night spent mending your broken heart (I was 18, gimme a break hahaha), be thankful for those moments when the music hits you in exactly the right way. It captures a piece of who you are, good or bad, and turns it into a memory. Times change, but those memories remain and immortalize a piece of you forever.


"Life is only as good as the memories we make, and I'm taking back what belongs to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment